Colbert slams FCC on his show.
- snitzoid
- 5 hours ago
- 4 min read
For years I was a loyal fan of the Colbert Report. Hilarious show.
Then he sold out to the network and began pandering to the woke. Most importantly he stopped being funny. He became a self absorbed douchebag...zero humility.
Then there's the fact that his show's ad revenue has dropped over 40% since 2018 (from about $121 million to $70 million). It's estimated that the Late Show which costs $100 million to produce loses about $40-$50 million per year. And he complains about being thrown off the air.
Hey asshole! Try being funny, maintaining viewership and not losing mountains of money before you begin the whining. Suck it.
Colbert Slams FCC and CBS, Priming for Fight Over Equal-Time Rules
In biting monologue on ‘The Late Show,’ comedian said his network was cowering to regulators prematurely
By Isabella Simonetti and Joe Flint, WSJ
Updated Feb. 17, 2026
Stephen Colbert criticized the FCC and CBS after he said the network scrapped an interview with a Texas politician due to equal-time rules.
View more
Stephen Colbert lashed out at the Federal Communications Commission and his own network during his show Monday night after CBS scrapped an interview he had planned with a Texas politician.
After teasing an appearance by actress and businesswoman Jennifer Garner on Monday’s episode of “The Late Show,” Colbert said that he wouldn’t have his other expected guest—Texas State Rep. James Talarico, a Democrat running for Senate—on the show.
“We were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast,” Colbert said in a scathing 6½-minute monologue. He added that he also was told he couldn’t mention that he wasn’t able to bring the politician on the show.
A CBS spokesman didn’t respond to a request for comment.
Colbert said the network was worried of running afoul of the FCC’s equal-time rules, which apply to radio and broadcast television and require shows that have candidates on during elections to also bring on their opponents.
While there is a longstanding exemption for news and talk-show interviews, last month the FCC issued what it called “guidance” on the rules that were widely interpreted as aimed at late-night and daytime shows that often feature Democratic politicians.
The FCC said a show that is “motivated by partisan purposes” wouldn’t be entitled to an exemption. The FCC’s guidance applies only to television and not radio, which is home to many right-leaning talk shows.
In remarks criticizing the agency’s chairman, Brendan Carr, Colbert said, “Sir, you’re chairman of the FCC, so FCC you.”
The FCC didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Colbert is in his final season hosting a late show on CBS, which canceled the program in July, citing financial reasons. Many media watchdogs have said that CBS canceled the show to curry favor with President Trump.
The FCC equal time rules don’t apply to streaming, podcasts or cable TV because those mediums don’t use public airwaves. Colbert later posted an interview with Talarico on the YouTube page for “The Late Show.”
Tensions over regulation of broadcast shows have been escalating for months under Carr, who has told The Wall Street Journal that “broadcast licenses are not sacred cows.” Colbert’s monologue could open the door for an even more pitched battle.
Earlier this month the FCC said it would open an investigation into whether ABC’s “The View” violated equal-time rules after it aired a segment with Talarico. ABC declined to comment.
Democratic FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez blasted both CBS for blocking Colbert’s interview and Carr’s threats against broadcasters.
“This is yet another troubling example of corporate capitulation in the face of this administration’s broader campaign to censor and control speech,” she said in a statement. She added that CBS parent company Paramount PSKY 6.35%increase; green up pointing triangle has regulatory matters before the government but that shouldn’t “justify retreating from airing newsworthy content.”
Paramount, which has launched a hostile bid to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery, is seeking government approval for a deal should it succeed in beating out rival suitor Netflix.
In September, Disney temporarily pulled the late-night show “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” after remarks the host made about the killing of conservative activist Charlie Kirk that were criticized by Carr.
In September, Stephen Colbert called the suspension of Jimmy Kimmel’s show ‘blatant censorship.’ Photo: 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert'/CBS
During an interview with conservative political podcaster Benny Johnson at that time, Carr suggested the FCC could take action against the broadcast licenses of ABC-owned stations. Owners of some ABC TV stations, including large broadcasters Nexstar Media Group and Sinclair, told the network they were dropping the show.
After widespread criticism and outrage from viewers, celebrities and other late-night hosts, Kimmel returned to ABC after a four-day suspension.
“This show is not important. What is important is that we get to live in a country that allows us to have a show like this,” Kimmel said upon his return.
On Monday, Colbert accused the Trump administration of wanting “to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV.”
Copyright ©2026 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Comments